- 2014 Lecturer and tutor, European Summer School in Scientometrics, Vienna, July 6-11.
- 2013 Elsevier Member of the scientific board of the Elsevier Bibliometrics Research Program.
- 2011-12 Council of Canadian Academies Member of expert panel on Science Performance and Research Funding. the report is available for downloading from the Council's website: http://www.scienceadvice.ca/en/assessments/completed/science-performance.aspx.
- 2008 Australian Research Council Member, Indicators Development Group, Excellence in Research for Australia.
- 2007-08 Canadian Academy of Health Sciences Assessment panel member for the project developing a framework to measure returns on investment in health research. The report is available for downloading from the Academy's website: http://www.cahs-acss.ca/making-an-impact-a-preferred-framework-and-indicators-to-measure-returns-on-investment-in-health-research-8/.
- 2007 Department of Education, Science and Training Chair, Metrics Working Group, Research Quality Framework
- 2007 Reference Group Member, Australian Partnership for Sustainable Repositories (APSR) Benchmark Statistics (BEST) project
- 2007 Regional Programme Chair (Australia-Pacific), 11th International conference of the International Society for Scientometrics and Informetrics conference
- 2006- Member, editorial advisory board, Research Evaluation
- 2004-07 Member, NHMRC Research Committee working group Measure of research impact and achievement (MORIA)
- 2006 Member of the international programme committee of the Leuven S&T Indicators conference
- 2004 Member, international program committee, S&T Indicators Conference, Leiden.
- 2002-04 World Health Organisation Expert advisor on Utilisation of Health Research study
- 2002-07 Member, Collaborative Activities Working Group, Forum for European-Australian Science and Technology cooperation (Feast)
- 2002-03 Member, scientific advisory committee, 9th International Conference on Scientometrics and Informetrics
- 2001- Member, editorial advisory board, Scientometrics
- 2001 Member, Australian Vice-Chancellor's Committee Expert Group, advising on the audit of the 2000 Research Quantum publications collection.
- Consultant - current
- School of Politics and International Relations, Australian National University
- School of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Newcastle
- Conjoint Professor - current
- Research Evaluation and Policy Project, Australian National University
- Visiting Fellow - 2008-09
- Fellow (and Head of unit), 2001-2008
- Research Officer/Assistant, 1988-2001
- Vice-Chancellor's Office, ANU
- Research Assistant, 1982-88
- University of Canberra
- Research Assistant, 1980-81
- Australian Bureau of Statistics, 1973-79
- 2004-06 ARC Discovery Grant, Impact of Evaluation-Based Funding on the Content of Scientific Research, with Grit Laudel (REPP) (DEST), $90,000.
- 2003-04 ARC Linkage Grant, Strategic Assessment of Research Performance Indicators, in collaboration with Grit Laudel (REPP), Frank Jackson (Philosophy, RSSS), David Siddle (PVC Research, University of Queensland and Ian Lucas (DEST), $125,000.